Scouting In Malaysia

Persekutuan Pengakap Malaysia (The Scouts Association of Malaysia, PPM) is an organisation for boys and girls between the ages of 10 and 17, based in Malaysia. Persekutuan Pengakap Malaysia is part of the global Scouting movement and national member of the World Organization of the Scout Movement (WOSM). It is the only uniformed body in Malaysia to have been established and officially regulated by an act of parliament through the Scouts Association Of Malaysia (Incorporation) Act 1968.

Scouting was first introduced in Singapore in 1908, but was officially founded on July 2, 1910, when young Scoutmaster Frank Cooper Sands arrived in Singapore from Nottingham and established two Boy Scout troops in Singapore for the children of the British colonists. From there, the movement spread to other parts of the Straits Settlements and what were to become the states of Malaysia. Sands spent the next 40 years helping to create Scouting in the region, and is often called the “Father of Malayan Scouting”.

In 1974, Datuk Syed Hashim bin Abdullah was awarded the Bronze Wolf, the only distinction of the World Organization of the Scout Movement, awarded by the World Scout Committee for exceptional services to world Scouting. Other recipients include Tan Sri Kamarul Ariffin bin Mohd Yassin in 1983.

Founding of Scouting in the States of Malaysia
The founding of Scouts movements in the states of Malaysia were, by date and founder

1913 – Sabah, by Reverend Thomas Cecil Alexander in Sandakan [1]
1915 – Penang, by H. R. Cheeseman of the Penang Free School
1915 – Sarawak, by Reverend Thomas Cecil Alexander in Kuching (active only from 1930 onwards). [2]
1922 – Kedah, by E.C. Hicks, E.A.G. Stuart, R.P.S. Walker and C.W. Bloomfield
1926 – Perak, by I.R. Wheeler at Malay College Kuala Kangsar
1926 – Melaka, by R. Brunstone in Malacca
1926 – Negeri Sembilan, by R. Brunstone, Bird and Roger Smith
1926 – Selangor, by Ameen Akbar
1927 – Terengganu, by A.J. Gracle
1927 – Kelantan, by Y.M. Tengku Ahmad Temenggong
1928 – Johor, by H.R. Cheeseman in the English College (now Maktab Sultan Abu Bakar).
1931 – Perlis, by Bird and Roger Smith
Pahang, by G.M. Laidlow in Pekan, restored in 1927 by H.P. Hertslet